Friday, January 15, 2010

Forgive Me


As a Senior in college, I wrote and performed a series of skits before the Sophomore class of a student body which was comprised of 99.9% whites.  I used this song to tell the story of how many blacks in this country have miraculously learned to FORGIVE those who persecuted them for no other reason than their skin color.  Even now I wonder how my incredibly loving and forgiving father could have done it.  He was dark.  And strong.  And they tried to break his spirit every chance they could.  And to some extent, they succeeded.  I'm sure of it.  But he still kept going.  He still kept loving.  He still kept coming home every night to six kids and a common-law wife.  And never stopped.  Daddy, this song is for you.  Because I hope you forgive ME for being sooooooooooo unappreciative of you as a child.  And as a teenager.  'Cause now, I want nothing more in the world than to be as forgiving and loving and devoted as you were.  Please...FORGIVE ME.

2 comments:

  1. Brother,

    I liked what I read. GOD bless our daddy. Thanks for reminding me of how you have grown.

    Love ya
    Honey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where there is understanding, there is growth!

    ReplyDelete