Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Mommy, My Dearest


Today is the 78th birthday of my late, great Mommy!  She was 53 yrs old when she took an extended vacation to visit GOD.  It's hard to believe that was twenty-five years ago.  Truly, time waits for no one. -- My late, great, oldest sister, Deb, had an excerpt from a beautiful poem by, Mary Elizabeth Frye, inscribed on Mama's tombstone.  It wasn't until today that I actually read the poem in its entirety.  So, Mama, I wish you a Happy Birthday, and want YOU and the rest of the family to "hear" the poem Deb selected for you in its entirety.  I love you.  And I miss you.  And you're with me always.

Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep

Do not stand at my grave and weep.
I am not there.  I do not sleep.
I am in a thousand winds that blow.
I am the softly falling snow.

I am the gentle showers of rain.
I am the fields of ripening grain.
I am in the morning rush.
I am in the graceful hush.

Of beautiful birds in circling flight,
I am the starshine of the night.
I am in the flowers that bloom.
I am in a quiet room.

I am in the birds that sing.
I am in each lovely thing.
So, do not stand at my grave and cry.
I am not there.  I did not die.

2 comments:

  1. I love my mommy/ it was a wonderful poem
    Happy Birthday Mom/ from the words of the late Ed McMahon

    Mom your baby girl is doing OK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes indeed, her baby girl is doin' MORE than OK. :)

    ReplyDelete