Monday, March 15, 2010

Showcase Showdown

Last night I went to see the work of terrific, acting coach/actor/writer/producer, CHOICE SKINNER and his students at the Breakin' Through Acting Workshop Showcase.  This group of 12, young actors (including Mr. Skinner) performed scenes from television, stage and screen.  I'm always a little nervous for the actors at these kinds of performances because I know they're newcomers for the most part and some of the scenes they take on are daunting even for seasoned professionals.  Not to mention that what we see up on our big screens may be the 60th take for the A-list actor.  At these showcases, however, the young actors only get one shot at making the material spectacular!  Anyway, the small theater was packed, which is a good thing, because actors need to see people in the seats.  A packed house revs up the performers as long as the audience is lively.  And indeed, those who were moved by something on stage felt free to express it.  I was truly impressed with the performances of two of the young actors in particular:  SHELDON SMITH and LATHAM FORD.  The former possesses a sweet youthfulness and gentleness that imbues his characters with an extreme likeability.  Doesn't matter whether he's portraying a young man infatuated with a hooker (from the unproduced screenplay, Hollywood) or a street thug who's angered that his father seemingly doesn't love him (from the film, Animal).  The chemistry between Sheldon and Mr. Skinner in Animal was off the charts!  Hell, I bet you the entire audience wanted to jump up unto that stage and hug 'em both.  Honestly, I found myself smiling whenever Sheldon took the stage because I just knew he would deliver a solid character for whom I would care; a character I could personally know and most assuredly root for.  Sheldon is truly leading man material in the vein of Ryan Phillippe--good-looking but not too good-looking that he can't be considered one of us "real people."  If he can hit the Hollywood lottery (i.e. getting into the able hands of fearless & savvy, talent representatives), the sky is the limit for this young actor!

Latham Ford--another attractive, young actor--proved to be really adept at using his entire body to tell his characters' stories.  In a scene from the film, Hotel Rwanda, I thought his jaw was possibly broken from the powerful slap his scene partner delivered to him. But no, sticking to character, he continued his plea to free more of his people.  He then wowed me in a scene from the film, Dear John.  His mouth was saying one thing to a potential love interest as his face and legs and arms said another.  The way he married this dichotomous behavior spoke volumes to me about his skill level.  Furthermore, I heard every, single word he spoke, but was more intrigued by listening to every, single word he left unspoken.  His clumsiness and awkward, body language did the talking.  The true crafsman knows it's what's unspoken that truly tells the story.  And, oh, his  keen imitation (and I say imitation 'cause that's what it was) of Adolph Ceasar as, "Old Mister," in The Color Purple was 100% dead-on.  And based upon the audience's enthusiastic response, I'd say I wasn't the only one amused and pleased by it.

The single performer of the evening who's overall stage presence was so fleshy it was palpable was, FARLEY JACKSON.  By Hollywood's standards, he's huge.  Probably 6'2" or 6'3" and 200+ lbs.  All chiseled muscle.  What I enjoyed most about him were his commitment to his characters and what I'll call his, Fear Factor.  Meaning:  something about his very being made me fear that he was going to do something dastardly in every scene he performed.  It didn't matter how puppy dog his facial expression (scene from, The Battered Wife) or his smile (Cadillac Records), I always had one eye closed, expecting him to lower the boom on his scene partner at any moment.  His strong commitment to character was front & center during the scene from, Hotel Rwanda.  Yes, it was Farley who slapped the taste out of Latham Ford's mouth in that performance.  At least in that scene I expected him to be a brutal beast and he delievered the goods.  In spades!  Where too many actors last night only went "so far" with their characterizations, Farley took us ALL THE WAY THERE!  I can't express how important it is for an actor to do that.  Hell, if your character is supposed to DO something or BE something, DO it!  BE it!  The Foxy Brown scene was practically ruined for me because the lead actor was "supposed" to be burying his face into a chick's tits but he WOULDN'T!  I mean, he'd put his face close to them and pretend like he was burying it between them but he WOULDN'T go ALL THE WAY THERE!  If Farley was in that scene, I just know his face would've been her THIRD tit!!!  And if he was in the Fatal Attraction scene, when he slammed the door, he would have torn it off its hinges!  I know I keep comin' back to the Hotel Rwanda scene, but I swear, when he slapped Latham I was lookin' on the stage for teeth!  Whatever he did, he went ALL THE WAY THERE!  As clearly as I could see the power of his person, though, I could also clearly see that none of the roles last night did him justice.  None of them truly showcased the depth of his talent.  I'd bet an arm and a leg that Farley's greatest challenge in this town will be to select or create the right roles to exploit his range.  And what I really mean to say is:  roles that have ONLY gone to white actors.  I'd love to see him do something like Brad Pitt's role in Fight Club.  Or Billy Bob Thornton's role in Sling Blade.  He HAS the innate capacity for it!  Whenever he hit the stage, beneath his unarguably handsome visage lurked a sinister unpredictabilty that compelled me to keep my eyes on him.  And to keep asking myself, "What horrific thing is this man about to do?"  There is a darkness--a danger--that resonates in this man.  I felt it in every scene he performed. -- The remainder of the male performers had some nice moments as well.

The female performers last night were commendable, too.  I especially took a liking to, MICAH HART.  Cute.  Plucky.  The type of girl you'd happily bring home to, Mama.  But she had to grow on me because her first scene with Farley in The Battered Wife simply wasn't up to snuff for me.  Her performance lacked the gravitas absolutely necessary to make it transcend from sort of adequate to powerfully moving.  Her character needed to be a walking, talking, raw nerve.  I didn't see that.  And I didn't feel that.  But, oh, what a difference a couple of scenes make.  By the time she returned to the stage in an updated take on The Importance Of Being Earnest (The Importance Of Being Ernest), she won me over.  The other young ladies, although engaging at times, rarely sailed past the point of delicious, eye candy.  All in all, I enjoyed the evening and will certainly return to the next showcase if invited.  And I also anxiously look forward to seeing what's in store for my aforementioned favorites!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment