Friday, May 21, 2010

Love Don't Live Here Anymore

Last night I worked a gig, and afterward, one of my co-workers gave me a lift home.  When we arrived by my place, he literally pulled over to the side of the road, put on his hazard lights, and proceeded to fill me in on all his marital woes.  The conversation was truly enlightening.  It was yet another example to me that what goes on behind closed doors is anybody's guess.  He has slept in a different room from his wife for the past three years.  And neither has had a formal discussion about it.  They haven't had sex together in as many years either.  Or, perhaps once, to his recollection.  I remember goin' through a similar situation with an ex.  My co-worker and I discussed how others expect us to live the lives they want us to live.  His brother is the one who tells him to do this and that.  I have a sister who used to do that with me until, quite frankly, our communication all but dissipated.  Life is short.  I see and feel this fact more and more each day.  And, since this is the case, I make conscious choices to spend my time with people who accept me as I am.  Flaws and all.  -- I wish the best for my co-worker and for myself.  We are good people.  We are loving people.  And, at the moment, we are people who are aching for more personal happiness.  My mama used to say that just because you're alive, doesn't mean you're LIVING.  And, dang it, I'm too intelligent and kind and talented NOT to be living the BEST life I can live.  I've got work to do.  And a book to write to change everything!!!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment