Monday, May 10, 2010

Mama, I Love You

Yesterday was Mother's Day and I spent the afternoon at the Hollywood restaurant/bar, Citizen Smith.  My brunch date and I were among the first customers to arrive.  We were seated in a really nice booth.  Anyway, at one point, I noticed a young black guy (probably in his early 20's) and an older, black woman, walk past the booth.  I looked up at the young guy and said, "Happy Mother's Day" as I nodded toward the older woman.  He smiled, and that was enough for me to know the woman was probably his mom.  Well, two Bloody Marys and two mimosas later, I walked back to the back patio.  En route, I passed up the table of the young man and the woman.  I stopped at their table and introduced myself.  Then, I told them that my mother died when I was 21 yrs old and that I missed her.  I literally asked the woman if I could hug her as a reminder of how much I loved my own mother.  She seemed rather flattered by the request and granted it.  As I held onto her, I thought about how terrific it would be to have my mother alive today.  I wondered what I'd say to her.  Where I'd be in my life.  I told the young man how lucky he was to have his mother, and he agreed.  What beautiful black people they were.  And are.  For the past several years, I've made sure to send Mother's Day greetings to three of my most fave, female friends, two of my sisters and sister-in-law, and to two, old familly friends.  I hope and pray they had a glorious day yesterday.  I know I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment