Tuesday, June 15, 2010

AA Can Set You F-R-E-E

After I returned my rental car yesterday, I was en route home when I walked upon a young, white dude who looked lost.  I asked him if he needed assistance and he told me he did.  Anyway, I wound up walking him to his destination:  an AA meeting.  It was his first.  And it was court-appointed.  Turns out he had been arrested for driving drunk, crashing into a wall and trying to flee the scene.  Luckily for him he didn't hurt anyone or himself.  What he did, though, was receive a colossal, wakeup call.  And a sentence of goin' to AA meetings and a revoked license.  I asked him if I could join him in the meeting as his guest.  He obliged, and there I sat for an hour, listening to the stories of many of the people there.  And there were quite a few.  The young dude said nothing.  He simply sat there and took in everything he heard like I did.  That was the second AA meeting I've ever attended.  The first was a few years ago as a guest of a friend.  I recall he didn't say anything at his first meeting either.  Anyway, by the time the meeting was over yesterday, I think the young dude realized that he shouldn't have driven himself to the meeting since his license is revoked.  I hope he did the proper thing today and took public transportation to work.  Only God and he know if he did.  I sure hope he did.  I do truly believe he's learned his lesson.  I'm just soooo happy he learned it without anyone getting physically hurt.  He appeared to be a pretty cool dude.  I wish him the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment