Monday, December 13, 2010

Like Father...

As teenagers, my brother and I used to accompany our father on his various money-earning ventures.  Well, his manual labor, money-making ventures: mowing yards and cleaning buildings.  He'd give me five dollars for helping him mow the yards.  I got nothing for helping him clean the buildings.  Nothing monetary, that is.  But I did tell myself I'd never do that kind of work when I got older.  I would feel so bad for him when I'd see him get down on his hands and knees to clean the restroom floors of office buildings.  He never even cleaned his own house with that much attention to detail, I thought.  Well, fast-forward from then to now.  And, no, I don't work a job where I get down on my hands and knees to clean floors.  However, I DO serve.  Literally!  Food and drinks.  And, from time to time, I wash dishes and pots and pans and stovetops.  And all for a buck.  Just like Daddy.  One thing I know for sure is that we, as people, can say what we will and won't do till we're blue in the face.  However, we can NEVER know WHAT we'll do until there's NO BREATH in us.  And, even then, if there's no breath in us, we STILL won't know!  No one could ever have told me as a child that I not only received my father's name; I also received the fear he had of CHANGE.  And when one fears change, HOW, oh HOW does he CHANGE that????????? 

No comments:

Post a Comment