Wednesday, February 2, 2011

It's All Right...It's All Right

Interviewing prospective tenants is an interesting endeavor.  What I've found is that most of them are searching.  For professional fulfillment.  For financial security.  Perhaps even for a sense of purpose.  A 27-yr-old, aspiring muscian showed up a couple days ago.  He had come via the subway.  Earlier in the day he had fallen off a borrowed skateboard and scraped himself up.  He showed me the scrapes and I immediately gave him some Band Aids to cover them.  I asked him some pointed questions about who he is and what he wants out of life.  Apparently my questions truly touched a nerve because, before I knew it, he was crying.  I heard his voice breaking, but wasn't sure what that was about.  Then I saw the tears.  At one point he simply stopped talking and cried.  It was at that time that I walked up to him.  And embraced him.  Hugged him like he was someone I love.  I knew he needed it.  This town can and has broken many a spirit.  But as long as those of us who choose to remain here hold steadfast to our dreams, we can achieve some level of fulfillment.  Of course we need some kind human suport, too.  The kid didn't wound up renting from me.  But he wasn't here to do that anyway.  Nope.  God & The Universe brought him to my doorstep so that he could talk and cry out all the frustration and pain he has harbored inside since he arrived in L.A from Alabama.  He has since asked me to be a Facebook friend.  I intend to keep up with his progress.  I can tell he's a kind fella.  My only hope is that he grow to realize that despite whatever becomes of his music career, he is MORE than any career he could EVER have.  SIGNIFICANTLY more!

No comments:

Post a Comment