Thursday, February 17, 2011

Iyanla Ain't Oprah


I just finished watching author/motivational speaker/life coach, Iyanla Vanzant, on OPRAH.  The two discussed why Iyanla hasn't been back on the show in eleven years.  I've gotta admit, the hour was fascinating for me.  I could've listened to those ladies talk for another hour.  And, as fate would have it, I'll get that chance when part two of their discussion airs next Wednesday.  Any number of times I thought Iyanla skirted the issue that she had given Oprah an ultimatum about either having Oprah produce a show for her right then and there, or she was going elsewhere.  Apparently Oprah heard an ultimatum, too, and let Iyanla go.  Iyanla wound up in the uncaring hands of Barbara Walters.  And there is where she languished until she crashed and burned.  Her show was cancelled within six months.  By her own admission, she was treated horrendously.  Barbara Walters et. al didn't want Iyanla to be Iyanla.  They wanted her to be Oprah.  And nobody does Oprah better than Oprah, so Iyanla's show failed.  --- I walked away from this first part of their interview liking Iyanla now as much as I did in years past.  The lady is special.  That much hasn't changed.  Oprah now has her own network, so I have a sneaking suspicion that Iyanla just might very well get her own show---produced by Oprah---on O.W.N.---before all is said and done.  And when/if she does, I know for sure that the show will represent EVERYTHING Iyanla is.  And NONE of what Barbara Walters et. al wanted her to be.  'Cause NOBODY can truly succeed at being SOMEBODY he/she isn't.  NOBODY!

No comments:

Post a Comment