Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Every Advantage Has Its Disadvantage

I had a very illuminating lunch date today.  Met up with a young actor whose work I was first introduced to back in 2005 or so.  I saw him in a stage play in downtown L.A.  His role wasn't particularly integral to the storyline.  His sole purpose was to provide eye candy.  And he fulfilled that purpose admirably.  When he did deliver the few lines he had, I didn't really detect any real chops.  I went back to see the play another time, when a different actor filled the role.  It was then that I realized beyond a doubt that the original actor wasn't up to snuff.  'Cause the new actor was eye candy AND made the role a living, breathing human being.  Anyway, back to today's lunch.  The young actor is now in his early thirties and is married with a child.  In my humble opinion, he's still growing as an actor.  And I draw that conclusion based upon a web series he's now doing.  Growth is necessary for all of us, so as long as he's working, his craft will get better & better.  --- Over the course of lunch, we talked about everything under the sun.  Our main topic of discussion, though, wound up being a subject matter that truly bothers me:  people in influential, professional positions who expect sexual favors in exchange for professional assistance.  This young man consistently finds himself on the wrong end of that equation.  He's currently at odds with an influential fella who makes no bones about seeing him as fair prey.  And, although I understand being attracted to young, fit bodies, I don't understand HOW a person could live with himself AFTER taking advantage of someone like that.  "Each one, teach one" is truly the way I live my life.  I share what I know to those who could benefit from knowing it and THAT'S all the "payment" I need.  The influential person knows the young actor is married with a child.  But I clearly see that's of no consequence to him.  I asked the actor if the man's unethical requests leave him with a bad taste in his mouth (figuratively speaking, of course) toward gay men.  He quickly responded, "Yes." --- I was never a power player when I worked as a talent manager, but I was able to get folks into casting directors' offices.  I don't know if any of the desperate actors I worked for would ever have given in to sexual propositions if I had asked.  But what I know for sure is that I would NEVER have asked!!!  And I know that those who do will eventually get what's comin' to them.  'Cause that's the way the earth spins on its axis. 

No comments:

Post a Comment