Thursday, May 17, 2012

The Lights Have Dimmed

Today is a sobering day for those of us who love DONNA SUMMER.  The legendary songstress who defined disco in its heyday died earlier today.  I'll always remember being a teenager and falling madly in love with the woman.  To me, her voice was second to none.  And she was GORRRRRGEOUS!!  My bedroom wall was home to hundreds of images of Farrah Fawcett-Majors, Jaclyn Smith, Kate Jackson, Cheryl Ladd and DONNA SUMMER!  It was the cover image of her Bad Girls album that floored me.  I thought she looked PHENOMENALLY gorgeous on that cover!

Donna's dance numbers brought her the most fame and fortune but her slow songs were incredible to me, too, because they illustrated how terrific her voice was.  My all-time favorite tune of hers is, FORGIVE ME.  It was a track on her Cats Without Claws album.  The song's message was incredible, but the sound of her voice truly made the song iconic for me.  I distinctly recall playing the song during a performance I created for the entire, sophomore class while I was a student at Wabash College.  I have it on a loop right now as I type.  The song's meaning is as relevant today as it was when I first heard it in 1984.

LaDONNA ADRIAN GAINES, you may have taken your last breath, but your sensational music lives on so that your death will not be the world's LAST DANCE!

No comments:

Post a Comment