Sunday, September 30, 2012

Good Riddance

Yesterday I walked out of a catering job only 3 1/2 hrs into it.  I left because I was tired.  Tired of feeling bad whenever I worked in the venue.  Tired of feeling less than who I was born to be every time I work for the company.  It was a wedding. 125+ guests.  And only five waiters.  I have only myself to blame for going to the event in the first place.  My gut instinct had been telling me all week prior to cancel the gig.  Even as I walked up to the restaurant I kept asking God to help me change my attitude so that I could get through it.  Well, I didn't change my attitude.  And I didn't get through it.  As I moved tables and moved chairs and filled water pitchers and filled empty, water glasses all I could think about was walking out right then and there.  Then and there came 3 1/2 hrs after my arrival.  I left before the salads were placed on the tables.  I left before the inevitable pandemonium broke out in the kitchen.  I left before I felt like my life was less than zero.  No, I'll never work for the company again.  I've sealed my fate there.  But that's okay with me.  'Cause I walked away from that restaurant with my head held high and my self-esteem intact.  Yes, I'm thankful for whatever dollars I've earned from the company over the past year or two.  And I'm even more thankful to have finally told them, GOOD RIDDANCE!

"Another turning point, a fork stuck in the road.
Time grabs you by the wrist, directs you where to go.
So, make the best of this test, and don't ask why.
It's not a question, but a lesson learned in time.
It's something unpredictable, but in the end, it's right.
I hope you had the time of your life." --- Green Day

I didn't.  So, I walked away.

No comments:

Post a Comment