Tuesday, September 11, 2012

I Remember Yesterday


On this day back in 2001 I was earning my keep as a cater-waiter for Patina Catering.  I was in the third month of living, for the first time, with a significant other.  I owned a 1984, white Mustang.  I worked consistently for Patina Catering.  I had money in a savings account.  I had money in a checking account.  I worked out four to five days per week at Griffith Park.  I could fly back to Indiana if I chose.  Or fly anywhere actually.  Anyway, I don't recall exactly what time it was, but I recall it being early.  Our home phone rang.  Scott answered it.  The person on the other end asked to speak to me.  Scott handed me the phone.  It was my sister, Rita.  Her words were very excited and loud.  Mind you, nothing unusual for her.  But that time, I could tell her excitement didn't derive from merriment.  Uh, uh.  I heard something else.  She said something to the effect that, "They're burning your city down.  Turn on the television."  I told Scott to turn on the television.  When he clicked the remote, I immediately heard the concern and suppressed terror in the voice of whomever was reporting.  And I saw the ominous images of a smoke cloud-filled sky.  And fire billowing out of one of the World Trade towers.  My heart stopped.  Maybe not literally, but it sure felt like it.  I didn't really understand what was going on.  I would never have thought terrorism.  And I wouldn't have thought it because that was a word only used to describe foreign warfare.  Or so I stupidly naively thought.

As time went on, the other tower was attacked.  And more pandemonium ensued.  I couldn't tear my eyes away from the television.  In fact, I lay in the bed watching the live, news broadcast as Scott scurried off to work.  After he left, I eventually went into the living room, plopped down onto the couch and continued watching news broadcasts all day.  My heart ached for those who lost their lives.  And for those who loved them.  I kept wondering where would I have been at that time of the morning?  Since I had been working catering gigs in NYC only two years prior, I could very well have been in one of the towers that morning.  Heck, I had a standing, Christmas gig I had worked there for two years back in '98 and '99.  I had oftentimes boarded and/or exited the subway under one of the towers.  I could easily have been there that day had I still been living in NYC. The whole thing was just too much to wrap my brain around.

After hours upon hours of watching news broadcasts, I realized I needed to turn off the tv and do something more pleasurable.  That's when I got the grand idea to meet up with Scott after he got off work and treat him to a movie.  Our movie of choice was, GLITTER.  Yep.  Mariah's Glitter.  Folks can make fun of the film if they want, but we enjoyed it.  We sure as heck enjoyed her singing.  To this day, whenever I hear the mere mention of the film, I think back to how much of a relief seeing it was for me.  In fact, for an hour and a half or so, I forgot all about the twin towers.  And the fear.  And the worry.  And the deaths.  Instead, all that mattered to me was Funkin' For Jamaica.

I'll always remember how September 11, 2001 affected me.  And I'll always remember how Mariah Carey's voice helped me forget about that effect.

At least for an hour and a half or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment