Monday, November 5, 2012

Bang The Drum All Day

Judi & Chris Wahl


Yesterday was quite the festive day at my volunteer gig with the elderly.  We were entertained by a sensational drum circle group, Wahlbangers Drum Circle Organization.  The group consists of its founders, Chris Wahl and his lovely wife, Judi.  And for extra support, there's his mom, Donna, his sister, Steff, and her hubby, Fritz.  The lot of them provides music therapy for the elderly and others.  We assembled Chris & Co. on the floor with our memory impaired residents.  After the staff and I got the residents seated behind a set of drums, we took our places, too.  I'm tellin' you, I beat on those drums as if I was Travis Barker.  Chris told me that I made his day with my participation.  Many of our residents played along as long as they could, but when they were pooped, I kept going.  I almost forgot the exercise was for THEIR therapy.  Not mine!  Haaa!  Anyway, Chris & Co. are due back on Dec. 2nd, so I'm gonna have to practice what beats I want to perform by grabbing some chopsticks and banging away on my wooden, tv dinner stand!  Hey, the wise man knows that practice makes perfect!

Wahlbangers Drum Circle Organization is a not-for-profit endeavor, so they'll happily accept donations.  You can do that HERE!

"I don't wanna work.
I wanna bang on the drum all day."

1 comment:

  1. Just came across your blog... Thank You for your wonderful words. It is very touching that you took the time to write this. We've missed your participation of late. You were an important addition to the drum circle, and your camaraderie with the residents made our job that much easier. We can't thank you enough for the support you've shown us. While we would love to include you in all of our events, we are spreading our joyful noise further (San Bernardino to San Francisco, Riverside to Reno, and points in between). If you would like to see the full impact of our services, we do have a few events coming up... the most notable being 60 participants at the State Mental Hospital (our second annual event there). Please keep in touch, and keep them chopsticks choppin'! All the best. Chris & Judi, Wahlbangers Drum Circle Organization

    ReplyDelete