Sunday, December 2, 2012

Bang The Drum Slowly

Today was another stellar day at my volunteer gig with the elderly.  And it was stellar because Wahlbangers Drum Circle stopped by!  I'm tellin' you, the folks who run that organization are simply sensational!  Whenever they come to see the elderly residents, I have a blast!!!  Heck, I come up with some of the funkiest beats known to man!  Haaaa!

One of my favorite, Alzheimer's residents was visited today by her brother and his son.  I had never met either.  Anyway, it was somewhat sad to hear that neither had seen her since August 2011 and had no idea how her condition had deteriorated.  She is truly only a shell now.  She doesn't really speak.  And she's sitting in a wheelchair.  I had never seen her in a wheelchair until today.  It always saddens me when a resident's health deteriorates.  I accept that it's the circle of life, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.  God bless all the elderly here and everywhere.  I enjoy working with them significantly more than I enjoy working with children; so, there!

No comments:

Post a Comment