Sunday, April 21, 2013

Something Old


Today's visit with the elderly was truly terrific.  I witnessed a breakthrough.  One of the residents was recently moved from the assisted-living population into the Alzheimer's/dementia population.  I've noticed that since her move, she's been looking happier.  I mean, I see her smile so much more now than ever before.  Well, today the Wahlbangers Drum Circle paid us a visit and, right before my very eyes, I watched the resident dance.  I'm talkin' a full-out, smooth groove kind of dancing.  Of course I had to join her.  Then, one of the residence's employees joined her.  It was a joy to watch her face light up as the drums' rhythm beat louder and louder.  Heck, who knew she had DIMPLES???  I don't think I had ever really noticed.  Oh, how I wish her son was there to see what I saw.  It would have made his day.  I just know it.

Volunteering at this residence has changed me.  I can't put my finger on the precise change(s), but I know I've been changed.  Honoring and respecting the elderly is more than a notion to me.  It's a way of life.  My life.

I pray for everyone and every "old" thing.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment