Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Better Things Are Coming


I've been waitin' for today to come for the past week, 'cause today is the day HBO began accepting submissions for it's HBOAccess Writing Fellowship.  At first, I was going to submit an original one-hour drama.  Yes, the same piece I submitted to another writing program a week or so ago.  I changed my mind and decided to send an original feature screenplay.

Well, HBO began accepting submissions at 9 AM PST, however, I couldn't sign onto Withoutabox.com to submit.  I mean, the screen was stuck.  Just a white background.  I tried and tried and tried.  Rebooted my computer, everything.  Still, nothing!  Finally, I got through; only to find THIS message:

***THE SUBMISSION CAP HAS BEEN MET AND SUBMISSIONS ARE NOW CLOSED***

Then, a little while later, THIS message:

***DE-ACTIVATED SERVICE • Call for Entries is current, but online submission is de-activated at this time. You may submit by traditional means, or check back soon in case things change***

I have to admit that I was immeasurably disheartened turned off by some of the wording in HBO's Terms & Conditions for submitters.  Heck, NONE of us wanna GIVE our babies away for FREE!!!!!

"I agree that nothing in this Release shall be deemed to create a confidential relationship between you and me or shall place you in a position different from that of a member of the general public with respect to the use of the Materials. If you commence use of the Materials in violation of this Release, and provided that I own the Materials and the Materials are original, novel, protectible and valuable, you agree to pay me as total compensation therefor such sum of money as we may subsequently agree upon in writing. If we have not attempted or are unable to agree upon the sum, and you commence the use of the Materials in violation of this Release, you will pay me, and I will accept as consideration for all rights of every kind in the Materials, the sum of Five Hundred Dollars ($500). If I do not agree that $500 is acceptable compensation for your use of the Materials, I will not submit the Materials hereunder. I acknowledge that I shall suffer no damages in excess of the foregoing from your use of the Materials or by reason of any other claim that I may assert with respect thereto, and in no event shall I be entitled to, nor shall I demand, any other compensation or any legal or equitable remedy, including but not limited to, injunctive relief."

I eventually saw on Google that everybody and their mothers were complaining about the site crashing, not allowing us to upload our scripts, so I e-mailed HBO a plea to receive a waiver to still submit.  I haven't received a reply to my request, so, as always, what will be, will be.  I'm done thinking about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment