Sunday, March 29, 2015

Growing Old Ain't For Sissies


Yesterday, I watched one of the most heartfelt documentaries I've ever seen.  Before You Know It.  The film revolves around the lives of three, gay male seniors from different parts of the country: NYC, Texas and Florida.

Honestly, as I watched the film, I was on pins and needles.  And mainly because I think about growing into old age more often than I care to admit.  Perhaps it's because I volunteer with the elderly.  Or perhaps it's because I just wonder what my life will be like at that stage.

What I know for sure is that in order to live out one's "older" years comfortably, one MUST be saving money NOW!  'Cause I can clearly see that an old man NEEDS money in a way a young man doesn't.  This said, I've gotta start MAKING more, so I can SAVE more!  I'm convinced being old and poor is a helluva lot WORSE than being young and poor.

The documentary makes it abundantly clear that how we live out our senior years is up to us.  We can choose to be a loner, like Dennis; a social activist like Ty, or a fun-loving old-timer like Robert.  I can tell you right now, I'm aiming for Robert's vitality and gusto, although I'm probably more of a loner than most would think.

Later today, I'm back at my volunteer gig with the elderly.  I think I'll tell a few of the residents about this film.  When it's available on DVD, I'll have to purchase it and let them see it.  I'd love to hear their thoughts.

I'll watch this film again.  Maybe even a third time.

'Cause it moves me like that.

'Cause it affects me like that.

'Cause it scares me like that.

In the immortal words of the film's Robert:

"You never think about getting older when you're younger.  But before you know it, it creeps up on you and you're there already."

No comments:

Post a Comment