Sunday, February 14, 2016

Say A Little Prayer


Over the past few weeks, I've left voice messages and e-mails for a friend.

She never responded to any of them.

Well, today, I called again.

And left another voicemail.

This time, though, she called me back.

And as I suspected: the news wasn't the best.

She told me that she had been feeling under the weather, and simply dismissed the feeling as pre-menopausal.  To add insult to injury, she then felt a lump in one of her breasts.

This week she'll have a test to determine if the lump is cancerous.

She told me that she has now been asking herself several questions about her life.  Is she professionally fulfilled?  Will she ever be married?  Will there ever be children?  She accepts that she will undoubtedly never give birth to any.  A flurry of thoughts invade her head these days.  Interesting how the thought of death compels a person to ask herself the hardest questions ever.

All I know is that I love her.  And that I wish her the best life any human being could possibly live.

After our phone conversation, I said a prayer for her.

And I'll keep saying them.

Until...

No comments:

Post a Comment