Monday, February 5, 2018

Respectfully Agree To Disagree


Years ago, a bride invited me to her wedding in San Diego. She is the sister of one of my gay friends from New York City. When she invited me, she told me that, if I came to the wedding, I couldn't bring a male partner. She didn't believe in same-sex unions. She told the same thing to her brother, who did have a partner. He was highly insulted that his partner couldn't attend with him, so he decided not to go.

I went.

Alone.

And I had a great time.

I wasn't offended by her request. And I wasn't offended because, to me, it was HER wedding. And her wedding should have been precisely as she wanted it. I could either attend, or not. No biggie to me.

Shortly after the wedding, I told one of my sisters about the bride's wishes.  And she told me that if I were to have a marriage ceremony with someone of the same sex, she wouldn't attend the event.

She made it clear that she, too, didn't believe in same-sex unions.

Truth be told, her statement didn't upset me, either. Not in the least. And it didn't upset me because I truly believe in respecting the beliefs of others as I'd want them to respect mine.

People don't have to agree on everything.

But their disagreement should be respectfully communicated.

The video below has polarized viewers. Some believe the mother is horrible. Others believe the son is being too thin-skinned.

I watched the video, and I truly listened to both parties. And I respect what each had to say.

Sometimes, what we want, and what others want, are in direct opposition.

It's best for our psychological well-being to accept that fact, and keep it movin'.

If anybody I know chooses not to attend any event I invite them to, I'll accept their decision without resentment. My event would still go on. And I'll still set out to have the time of my life during the event.

Agreeing to disagree is fine with me.

As long as the disagreement is communicated respectfully.

Simple as that.

No comments:

Post a Comment