Friday, February 9, 2018

What I Know For Sure

Photo: Kevin Winter/Getty Images

In my humble opinion, this world is comprised of two kinds of people.

Those who can withstand heat.

And those who can't.

Yesterday, Hollywood lost a film producer/exec who couldn't withstand the heat.

So, she killed herself.

Her name was Jill Messick.

I had never heard of her until yesterday. And when I first read the title of an article about her suicide, my heart dropped.

All I could think was, why?

Her family believes her demise is the direct result of simply not being able to take the attention thrust upon her by Rose McGowan and Harvey Weinstein in this #MeToo movement.

I suspect Jill received ugly messages from people who believed she was complicitous in protecting Harvey Weinstein. And was also probably worried about her livelihood being affected adversely because of the media attention.  Heck, maybe she had already taken a career blow, which pushed her over the edge.

At present, only her family knows the particulars. I have to admit, I hope she left behind a note. A note that we, the public, get to read some day.

What I know for sure is that very few people can handle the feeling of being a lone wolf against the world. People need community. And for many, that means lots of community.

People need unsullied reputations.

People need to know that life is difficult.

Sometimes.

Or oftentimes.

Curiosity truly has me wondering about the specifics of what caused her to end her life.

And I want to know because I'd like to learn something from them.

And/or because I'm nosy.

There are people who truly can't stand the heat.

So, they elect to get out of the kitchen of life.

Yep, lots of people get out.

And among those people is...

#HerToo.

No comments:

Post a Comment