Friday, March 16, 2018

Lyfting Spirits, One Driver At A Time


Yesterday was my first time ordering a Lyft ride share. I usually use Uber, but since I was going quite a distance, I wanted to take advantage of Lyft's first time discount.

It was a little disappointing that the discount was only a measly $5.00! My first ride with Uber was discounted $10.00. But that's neither here nor there.


Anyway, with Uber, my passenger rating is a perfect five. And I think that score derives from how kindly I treat the drivers. I end every ride with a hug; whether the driver is female or male, or hasn't quite decided.

I figured with Lyft, I was gonna do my same routine.

My first driver was Justin, a young black man who hails from "The Chi"(Chicago). He practically told me his whole life story! He moved here to L.A. with his sister and a friend. They were so desperate to get here they didn't bother themselves with preparing first, so they were homeless the first few weeks. I'll never understand folks who do that, but hey, if they like it, I love it.

I spent most of the drive listening to him go on and on about what he wants out of life and how driving for Lyft is helping him accomplish his goals. Good for him, I thought.

When we arrived at my destination, I asked him to exit the car so I could hug him. I think he was a little surprised by my request, but he obliged. I hugged him, wished him the very best, then gave him a five-dollar tip.

My return driver was a young man of Armenian descent named Arthur. When I climbed into his car, the first thing outta my mouth was: "What's up, Mr. Arthur?" He said, "Wow, I love your energy already."

Arthur and I proceeded to talk about everything under the sun. We got hella personal. And I mean, make-your-mama-squirm personal.

By the time we arrived in front of my doorstep, I directed him to exit the car so I could hug him. He gave me one hell of an embrace!

I wished him the very best and gave him a two-dollar tip. Yes, he was just as great as Justin, but man, after spending damn near $70 on transportation for the day, I just didn't wanna part with another cent! I hope he forgives me!

A part of me kicked myself in the butt for spending that much when I could have simply driven myself for free, but hey, I hope some of the things the drivers and I discussed will benefit their lives. I could never have had any positive impact on them if I had driven myself.

Yeah, that's the way I'll look at it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment