Friday, November 26, 2010

Kaboom!!!!

When I was a kid and a teenager and in my early twenties, the general population never knew how much money films made on their opening weekends.  And, honestly, I don't think we cared.  However, in today's age, everybody knows what films make on their opening weekends.  And--much to my surprise--seem to be incredibly invested in knowing this information.  One of my friends, Larry, asked me earlier to guess what Dwayne Johnson's new film, Faster, made on Wednesday?  What?  He is genuinely interested in knowing this info.  He then asked me to guess what Cher's new movie, Burlesque, made.  I didn't know either answer, but he gleefully went on to tell me that neither made any money.  Well, let me say this:  I go to see a film based upon either my fond familiarity with the material, an interesting trailer, or someone is singing in it whose voice blows me away.  Rarely will I see anything because of a particular performer or director or writer.  Almost never, actually.  If the subject matter doesn't pique my interest, 9 times out of 10, I won't spend my money to see it.   Period.  So, that being said, Hollywood can fill every film with its favorites:  Damon, Affleck, Depp, Jolie, etc.  But...if the subject matter of the film doesn't interest me, I ain't seein' it.  It's blatantly obvious to me, though, that Harry Potter, Star Wars, Avatar and every, action movie ever made DON'T need me to see 'em to be successful.  Good for them.  And good for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment