Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Common Denominator

All my life I've upset folks because of something I've said to them.  In my youth, I intentionally made comments to hurt feelings.  Back then, I did it as a defense mechanism; because kids made fun of me with "sissy" taunts more than any other.  Anyway, fast-forward to my adulthood, and I still manage to tick off folks with a comment or two.  I have to ask myself:  do I intentionally mean to hurt feelings?  The answer is, no.  Of late, the people who have gotten upset with me are people I genuinely adore.  I now see that I can no longer pass off their anger as "their" problem.  'Cause, clearly, my words are the common denominators in all the ill feelings.  From this point forward, words CAN'T leave my mouth unless they're intended to UPLIFT, EDIFY or ENLIGHTEN.  Simple as that.  So let it be written.  So let it be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment