Friday, September 2, 2011

So Long, Ol' Friend

When my mother died 26+ years ago, I decided then and there that there wasn't any, human being I couldn't live without.  And, for the most part, I still hold that belief today.  What I didn't realize, though, is that what I meant is that I can live without anyone who DIES.  If the person is still alive, that changes things.  No, I'm not the kind of man who sits in a room, lamenting the loss of a relationship, days on end.  But I clearly realize today that I do miss particular friendships.  One such friendship ended recently when a friend of damn near 23 years told me that he no longer wanted to have anything to do with me.  His reasons were sound: he simply couldn't forgive some of the unfriendly conduct I've hurled his way over the years.  I get that.  But getting it doesn't stop me from wanting to BE friends.  That was then.  And I know for a fact I'd NEVER behave again as I had in the past.  However, my transformation is simply too little, too late. 
I wish my friend well.  Honestly I do.  And I shall continue to reach out to him, from time to time.  Whether he responds to my calls/texts or not.  'Cause truth be told...
...I'm so glad we've had this time together...

No comments:

Post a Comment