Saturday, April 13, 2013

42

Chadwick Boseman

Harrison Ford

Nicole Beharie

Just returned from seeing 42, the movie about baseball great, Jackie Robinson.  I've gotta say, I truly enjoyed it.  I found myself sittin' on pins & needles every time the musical score reached a crescendo.  The performances by Chadwick Boseman, as Jackie, and Harrison Ford, as Branch Rickey, were sensational.  Each actor brought a warmth and vulnerability to his performance.  I'd be remiss if I didn't also give a shout out to the terrific performance of Nicole Beharie as Rachel Robinson.  I haven't seen Nicole since I saw Steve McQueen's Shame.  And I thought she was absolutely terrific in that film, too. So, two thumbs up for me and this film!

P.S.  I will add this, though:  here it is 2013, more than 60 yrs since Jackie Robinson integrated the major leagues, and racism is still a hot topic in this country.  Still!  How many more years before people are judged by the content of their character instead of the color of their skin?  Or gender?  Or sexual preference?  And the list goes on and on and on and on and on and...Well, one day I hope and pray, as a nation, we slide into LOVING & RESPECTING others simply because they EXIST.  Period.


No comments:

Post a Comment