Saturday, September 27, 2014

Preaching to the CHOIR BOY



Earlier this afternoon I treated myself to the play, CHOIR BOY, at Geffen Playhouse!  And boy, oh boy, was it SENSATIONAL!!!

The voices of the actors were OTHERWORLDLY!  Honestly, I sat there in total AWE!  One of the performers, CALEB EBERHARDT, sang an excerpt from LTD's song, "Love Ballad."  Heck, his incredible performance of that song practically made me LEAP out of my chair!  The longing and pain in his rendition moved me beyond description!  Truth be told, I'm goin' back to see the show tomorrow so I can hear that performance again!  I loved it that much.

The cast was truly terrific.  Well, I think a more masculine actor as the Headmaster would have been nice, 'cause the character isn't supposed to illustrate the exact same very similar effeminate mannerisms as the lead actor.  I gave the actor a pass, though, and continued to enjoy the show anyway.

As I watched the show, I thought to myself, damn, playwright Tarell Alvin McCraney sure is BRILLIANT!  I couldn't imagine writing that piece!  I think I had better get more cerebral in my writing, 'cause writing like I saw in CHOIR BOY truly knocks my socks OFF!

Tarell Alvin McCraney

 

No comments:

Post a Comment