Monday, December 12, 2011

Home Sweet Home


Working as a cater-waiter off & on since 1998 has gained me a bird's eye view of some of the most amazing houses/apartments in this country.  Back in Manhattan I recall loving the apartment of a woman who sold old, movie memorabilia.  Here in Los Angeles, I've loved many.  But my all-time favorite is a sprawling estate with a Los Angeles zip code.

At the time I walked inside this beautiful structure, it was owned by the late W. Howard Lester, former CEO and Chairman of Williams Sonoma. He was gracious. That much I remember.

Just as I remember walking through the big gate in front of the house, and being mesmerized by the lengthy walk up the tree-lined driveway.  I mean, honestly, walking up the driveway was enough to make me wish I never left the property.

The immaculate house was just the cherry on top of the incredibly well-landscaped cake. First, I walked past the guest house/gym to get to the main house. Both buildings are simply stunning.  When I walked into the main house I was immediately taken by the openness of the first floor.

I found a "reason" to venture upstairs, of course. I peeked into the beautiful bedrooms. I then checked out the basement where the game room and wine cellar are located. I'll say it again: simply stunning.

Surfing the web sometime last year, I discovered that Mr. Lester had passed. God, rest his soul. But I wonder who lives in that house now. And I wonder if whomever it is would mind if I just stopped by to walk around the grounds and through the house again. I mean, I only wanna see what the place looks like now. That's all. Haaa!

Since I don't have photos of the house's interior, you'll just have to settle for it's exterior HERE.

p.s. The house is almost directly across the street from the former, Spelling Manor.

No comments:

Post a Comment