Thursday, March 1, 2012

Low Roller

One of my neighbors confided in me last night that he has an addiction.  A gambling addiction.  Less than a week ago, he gambled away almost $2000.  Where did he get the money?  His credit card.  Cash advance.  And you know how much interest is assessed to cash advances.  Well, rent is due later today and he's short.  Noooo, I didn't give him any money.  I gave financial assistance to bail another friend out of a jam yesterday.  It was only $10.00, but that's ten bucks that friend didn't have!  Well, back to my gambling neighbor.  I asked him how I could help him kick his gambling habit.  I figured it's best to assist him with the root of the problem instead of just the problem.  He says he wants to get closer to God.  That's fine and good, but I say he has to first take responsibility for his actions.  That God gives him free will and he's got to choose the will NOT to gamble.  For all intents and purposes he's taking care of his mother as she grows old, so, when he screws up, he's not just screwing up HIS life, he's screwing up HERS, too!  My first step towards helping him change his life is accompanying him to church this upcoming Sunday.  Hey, it's a start.  While there, I'll certainly hold myself accountable for changing MY life, too!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment