Saturday, September 7, 2013

Curb Appeal


In my youth, I can't pinpoint precisely where, but I do recall having seen these lawn jockeys in front yards.  Even then, I wondered...why?  As an adult, I realize it's not my place to know why.  Particularly since I'm not the one placing one of them in my front lawn.  Anyway, Wikipedia provides an explanation for the art work's existence here.

I recall an interesting (and truth be told, I thought, humorous) discussion on this lawn art back in college.  It took place after my fraternity had selected our Pledges.  At the time, I was an active.  One of the pledges was a handsome, white kid from a suburb of Illinois.  He was a walking, talking Ralph Lauren ad.  Preppy as all get out with straight, sparkling white teeth to die for!  Anyway, I asked him what made him want to be a part of the fraternity.  Without skipping a beat, smiling ever so broadly, he replied, "I knew this was the place I wanted to be when I saw they didn't have you standing out front in a jockey suit."  WOWWWWWWWWW, I thought!  Of course, my fraternity brothers didn't find his comment humorous (although I did) and they chastised him.  But I thought it was funny and damn BOLD!  Lol!

Well, fast forward to just a few days ago.  I was working with a chef I sometimes moonlight with.  I was standing in the front doorway of the client's home, greeting her guests.  One guest, an older man probably in his late 60s or early 70s, approached me and told me he had a racial joke in his head, but that he probably shouldn't share it.  I told him to go right ahead.  He still said, "I probably shouldn't."  I urged him to go ahead.  So, he did.  He proceeded to say, "As I was approaching the house, I thought, wow, they took him off the lawn."  See!  ANOTHER white fella who thinks of lawn jockeys when he sees me!!!

This is all so craaaazy to me because I can't remember the last time, if ever, I was on a HORSE!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment