Thursday, May 24, 2018

Dementia & Son



My volunteer work at a residence for the elderly puts me thisclose to people living with Alzheimer's and other forms of dementia.

I learned quickly to simply go along with whatever the residents say. Regardless how outrageous or undecipherable it may be.

My father had dementia, and wasn't always able to identify my siblings by name when shown their photos. My youngest sister, who was his primary caregiver, told me that he ALWAYS called my name when shown my photo. How 'bout that? I reckon I am UNFORGETTABLE after all! :) :) :)

Anyway, I saw the video below and my heart broke for the son. He obviously wants so desperately for his 66-year-old mother to recognize him. To call him by his name.

I notice that the families of those who are severely afflicted with dementia don't seem to visit the residence as often as I'm sure they would if their family members could talk to them. If they could even show them one second of recognition.

As long as we have our faculties, we long to be recognized. We long to know that others see us, appreciate us and care about what we have to say.

I wish this young man the very best. His journey isn't easy.

And, unfortunately, it isn't isolated, either.

1 comment:

  1. I'm going through this same thing right now. It's tough.

    ReplyDelete