Thursday, March 28, 2019

Hello, Old Friend



Last Sunday I met up with a dear, dear, dear friend in the City of Manhattan Beach.

I hadn't physically seen Trisha since 2014 or so during my last visit to NYC.

But here she was, visiting Southern Cali for a couple nights.

I drove down to Santa Monica, picked her up, then drove her to Manhattan Beach. I like the vibe in that beach community far more than I do Santa Monica.

She agreed.

We walked the pier, and The Strand, gawking at all the gorgeous beach houses.

And we talked.

And drank.

And talked some more.

Oh, it made me so happy to hear how well her children are doing, and how good she feels about her current romance.

Yes, she asked about my romantic life, and I had to tell her like I tell everyone who asks: that aspect of my life is dormant. But I'm open to romance. I truly am. Well, at least, I think I am. :)

We drank at The Strand House, an upscale restaurant/bar only a hop and a skip away from the beach. I've eaten there before, and I reckon I do recall it being pricey, but I guess I forgot just how pricey!

We ordered two drinks each: Malibu Bay Breeze and The Strand House Margarita.

We didn't care for either! Before tax, the drinks cost $56.00. With tax: $61.32.

When the bartender presented me with the bill, which was on an electronic tablet instead of paper, he had already highlighted a 25% tip. I changed the tip to 18%, which is farrrrrrrrr more than I would have given the bartender had I paid in cash. If I had cash on me, he would have gotten $1.00 tip per drink. FOUR DOLLARS!

Instead, I tipped him 18% for drinks NEITHER of us liked, which brought my grand total to $72.36.

GEEZ!

Oh, well, lesson learned.


Seeing my old friend was worth the price of a MILLION drinks at that joint!!!!!!!!!!

p.s. But if I ever go back there, I'm gonna order FOOD only! Haaaaa! :) :) :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment