Saturday, February 13, 2010

How To Make It In America

Sometime last year, while I was still doin' the talent manager thing, I sent three guys in to audition for HBO's new dramedy, How To Make It In America.  Interestingly enough, all three went in to read for the same, co-lead role: "Cam."  None of the three even received a callback.  The role went to Victor Rasuk, an actor who is indeed of Dominican background.  Anyway, I just finished watchin' the premiere episode of the show and enjoyed it.  Enjoyed it a lot, actually.  I can tell the show can inspire people to get up off their duffs and "make it happen" for themselves.  One of my favorite lines was when the character "Cam" asked a rich guy to give him money to fund an entrepreneurial idea and the rich guy told him, "Don't tell me what you're gonna do.  Show me what you've done and maybe I'll give you money."  Hmmm.  That's hella profound:  "Don't tell me what you're gonna do.  Show me what you've done."  So...to me, that means WRITE my book AND film my YouTube interviews.  I've GOTTA DO somethin' in order to show folks what I've done.  PERIOD!  (More about How To Make It In America plus the pilot episode here).

No comments:

Post a Comment