Saturday, December 22, 2018

55 Years Blessed


On December 22nd, 1963, a boy child was born in Indianapolis, Indiana.

He was the fifth child of a 31-year-old freckle-faced woman from Chicago.

And the fourth child of a 39-year-old southern fella from Kentucky.

My childhood was pretty enjoyable.

We didn't have much money.

Okay, who am I bullsh*tting?

We didn't have ANY money!

But we had love.

No, we weren't the type of family who'd say out loud that we loved each other. 

But we showed it.

Over the years, I don't recall ever receiving birthday gifts, because my birthday was too dang close to Christmas.


I got cake, though. And to this day, I still love chocolate cake.

A lot!


I am 55 years blessed.

I can't believe it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Inside, I still feel like I felt some...um...25 years ago.

I really do.

But I'm not 30. I'm 55.

Over the course of these 55 years, I've seen some things.

Done some things.

And have endured things being done to me.

And I'm STILL here!

No, I haven't enjoyed any true, professional fulfillment.

And no, I haven't embraced any true, requited romance.

But you know what?

All that's just fine by me.

'Cause what I HAVE enjoyed and embraced over these 55 years of blessings is...

GRATITUDE!!!!!

To God and to The Universe!

For making me, ME!

Precisely as I am!

Tall!

Thin!

Black!

Kind!

Compassionate!

Friendly.

Forgiving!

Same-gender loving!

Helpful!

Courteous!

Frugal!

Patient!

A man who lives his life treating others the way he wants to be treated.

Period!

Dear God...

Dear Universe...

I thank you for allowing me to see 55 years on this precious planet.

Many folks aren't granted that privilege.

My mother wasn't.

My eldest sister, Deb, wasn't.

But for whatever reason, I was chosen to see 55.

For that, I am immeasurably thankful.

What I know for sure is that...

No matter what JOB I have or HOUSE I live in or CAR I drive or ROMANCE I embrace, I am MORE than ALL those things!

I, Charles Andrew Montgomery, Jr., alias Cam Montgomery Jr., alias Beany, say OUT LOUD to MYSELF...


And...

To God be the GLORY.

AMEN.

No comments:

Post a Comment