Thursday, January 31, 2019

Leader Of The Band (Reprise)


Just sittin' here thinkin' about my father as I listen to Dan Fogelberg sing a song that speaks to a son's love for his father.

I remember as a kid being embarrassed by Daddy because he didn't have a "professional" job.

Because he didn't wear a suit, shirt and tie.

Because he wore the same uniform with his name embroidered on the shirt: "Charlie."

Because he didn't go to school past eighth grade.

Because he was never paid more than $7.00 per hour his entire, working days.

Yeah, the young, ignorant, thankless, immature me felt ashamed.

The much, much older me sees things differently now.

Because in many ways...

I've become my father.

Correction: I've become a man who hasn't earned much money in my working days.

But I've not become my father.

If I had, I would have teamed up with a partner who made a family with me.

If I had, I would have brought kind, loving children into the world.

If I had, I would have purchased a home to house a family I love more than I love myself.

If I had, I would make integrity my calling card.

If I had, I would make my word golden.

What I have done is benefited from emotional development that makes it crystal clear to me today how phenomenal a man my father was then.

I made sure he knew I loved him before he passed.

Because I told him.

And I kissed him.

On his forehead.

For the rest of my days, I will strive to live as righteously and with as much integrity as he had.

But let it be known...

My life has truly been a poor attempt to imitate the man.

I'm just a living legacy to the Leader of the Band.

I am the living legacy

To the leader of the Montgomery band.

No comments:

Post a Comment