Thursday, January 18, 2018

Being Poor And Elderly


I just watched a video about an elderly couple who had to separate so that the wife could continue to receive the medication she needs to survive.

The couple had been married for over 30 years.  But if they remained together, she wouldn't qualify to receive the Medicaid benefits she receives in order to purchase her meds.

So, they split up.

He moved some 22 miles away from her because that's the closest place he could afford.

I tell you, their story breaks my heart.

And it breaks my heart because I'm 54.  She's only seven years older than I am.  And he's 12 years older.

I feel I'm just like them.

The three of us have very little money.

And all three of us know all too well the importance of having money for medication.

From time to time, I ask myself: "How did I get here?"  Here being a 54-year-old college graduate with no money.  Plain and simple.

Let me be explicitly clear: I'm a little worried.

Let me be even more explicitly clear: I'm MORE than a little worried.

My favorite uncle, Uncle Ash, died at 79.  And he died flat broke.  So broke that he didn't have a funeral.

I know, a dead man doesn't need any money.  Because he's dead.  But maybe Uncle Ash wouldn't have died at 79 if he had some money.

He sure as hell wouldn't have lived the way he lived up to 79 if he had money.

I don't think he even got an obituary written in the newspaper.

He died flat as a buttermilk pancake broke.

And I believe, broken.

I don't want that for me.

At this very moment, my back is against a wall.

A brick wall.

Luckily for me, though, there has never been a wall built that can't be demolished.

I talked to a former catering colleague yesterday about what I'm feeling these days.  He confirmed for me that I'm not alone.  But you know what?  That still didn't make me feel better.

I know misery is supposed to love company, but this "misery" I'm feeling, I wouldn't wish on anyone else.  Well, maybe I'd like a few jerks I personally know and/or have read about to feel a taste.  But that's it! :)

The mother of Herbalife Extraordinaire Garrain Jones is in her sixties.  His professional success has recently allowed her to retire.  Now, she has enrolled herself in a fashion school to study design.  A career she has always wanted, but put off so she could pay the bills.  Ugh!  Working jobs you hate to pay the bills has been the bane of many an existence. But her story gives me hope!

It lets me know it's never too late.

But dang, I don't have a rich kid to rescue me!

Well, all jokes aside, the lack of bucks stops here!!!

I loved my Uncle Ash dearly.  But I don't wanna part this earth like he did.

I'm not a multitasker, so focusing on one goal, completing it, then moving on to the next, is THE order of the day!

Being poor isn't a good look for ANYBODY!

And it's a slow, painful death for the ELDERLY!

No, thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment