Friday, September 10, 2010

Hide And Go Peek

I always get a kick out of the response I get from some people when they see me walking either behind them or heading toward them.  I know, perhaps I'm a bit hyper-sensitive about this subject, but I truly believe there's something to it.  Once, in NYC, I was walking behind a middle-aged, white woman.  We just happened to have been walking in the same direction.  From time to time, she'd casually glance back as if she was looking for something.  I'd slow my pace so as not to pass her because I just knew what she was up to.  Well, after a couple blocks, she ducked into a building.  I knew that wasn't where she wanted to go so when I walked past the entrance a couple feet, I stopped and turned back in the direction of the entrance.  Sure enough, within moments, guess whose head I saw peeking out of the building.  Haa!  As she peeked around the corner of the building, there I stood, looking her directly in the face, WAVING--and wearing a HUGE SMILE!!!  She looked sooooooo incredibly embarrassed.  Well, that sort of thing happens to me a lot.  I reckon when white folks see me coming or walking behind them, they just don't feel too darn comfortable.  Whatever!  I REFUSE to live my life in fear.  And, trust me, I haven't always felt this way.  It's just that living in fear hasn't worked out too well for me, so I've had to let it go!

No comments:

Post a Comment