Tuesday, November 17, 2009

LDL On The Rocks, Please!


Okay, so I gave blood a week  or so ago to test my cholesterol level.  I go back for results, Dec. 2nd!  The constant worry about HDL and LDL numbers has gotten to be too much!  My mother died with a cholesterol total over 500!  Whew!  My father was on cholesterol-lowering meds for a while, too, 'til he was prescribed too heavy a dosage and started slurring his speech.  My younger brother and sister are also on statin meds.  However, I am the one who takes the highest dosage -- 80 mgs!  Our parents passed this friggin' mess down to us, but it's up to us to monitor it; so I try my darnedest to eat properly and exercise.  My in-home diet consists mainly of solid white tuna in water, white kidney beans, black lentils and raw vegetables:  broccoli & carrots.  I've been adding a couple of frozen foods lately:  peas and edamame (soybean).  I snack on a mixture of walnuts, peanuts, high-fiber cereal & chocolate-covered raisins.  I oftentimes add a banana or Granny Smith apple to the mixture, too!  I drink water at room-temperature only.  When I'm out, though, I'll eat just about anything placed in front of me!  And goodness knows I always occasionally gulp enjoy a margarita or four two.  Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment